Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I'm a Psychologists Dream Come True



I think it was Friday night, I was lying in bed watching this HBO series "On Freddie Roach". Freddy is Manny Paquiao's trainer. Let me back track, Manny is a boxer, arguably the best in the world. Anyway, Freddy would be like having Lance Armstrong as your cycling coach. Soooo, this episode has him in charge of the US Olympic Men's Boxing team. They were doing they're usual training camp / regime but then Freddy drug in a sports psychologist. She had them envisioning success. Of course, to them success is winning. To many of us, success is finishing in a vertical position.

Ok, so, you're wondering how Katy Perry and her fireworks come into play? On Sunday night I was watching this pre-NFL show where they do the whole montage on Brady and Eli. Katy Perry's "Firework" song was the background music. And my brain that's on triathlon crack follows along...

Do you ever feel like a plastic bag, drifting through the wind, wanting to start again?

Yeah, it's called running on a windy day. Bad choice.


Do you ever feel, feel so paper thin, like a house of cards, one blow from caving in?


That's why God made GU, Roctain and Hammer Gel.

Do you ever feel already buried deep? Six feet under screams but no one seems to hear a thing? Do you know that there's still a chance for you, cause there's a spark in you?

There's a spark alright, it's called finding a porta-potty around mile 8 and no line.

You just gotta ignite, the light and let it shine. Just own the night, like the fourth of July.

How come I feel more like a bottle rocket than a Roman candle most days?? I bet Tom Brady feels like a quarter stick of dynamite.


The internal conversation is constantly going. Constantly. It wasn't such a big deal when I was just running because it was always just about RUNNING...faster. But now, I've overloaded the circuit board with hours of training each day. Pedal faster, don't drink the pool water, use good posture when you run up hill and don't forget to foam roll. It's a laundry list of getting to 70.3.


Achilles, my partner in street crime.

So last night I was on a easy 15 mile bike ride. It was cold out but the sun was shining so I couldn't resist. While pedaling along I asked myself three simple questions. They're the only ones that count on the scoreboard on game day. Can I swim? Can I ride my bike? Can I run? Yes. Yes, to all three. So, shut up brain. Turn off and just do it.

10 comments:

  1. bahahahahaha. omg. every day i wonder what it would be like if my brain would JUST TURN OFF and stop keeping me from sleeping, driving me to eat countless calories out of stress, etc etc etc. but then sometimes i worry...what if i were MORE crazy without a brain to keep me occupied!?! omg. the horror.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I'm training, I come up with really stupid ideas. Like trail running every day. Doing my tri in a bikini. Genius stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting case, you are! We all do that kind of stuff, so you are in good company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, you are hilarious!

    Why wasn't Katy Perry or Lady Gaga on the Superbowl halftime show? Madonna did a nice job, but why has every super bowl halftime performer been 50 or higher recently? haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'Cause baby you're a firework
    Come on, show 'em what you're worth
    Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh"
    As you shoot across the sky-y-y

    Don't think of this as me copy/pasting lyrics. Think of it as my tribute to you for a good blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't ya just wish our brains would shut up sometimes :))

    I have the same road bike as you!! Mine of course has MUCHO pink on her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think trying to find meaning in Katy Perry lyrics is the source of your real problem here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's some serious stuff there....you have too much time on your hands while doing all that training.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha I love the lyrics analysis ;) so bang on! and GREAT bike ride!!!!!

    I love the "it's called running on a windy day" - hahahah it SUCKS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. too funny!! i'll never be able to listen to that song again without thinking to all this!!

    ReplyDelete