Sunday, January 8, 2012

The winter of my sinus discontent



Did you know that it's illegal in most states to stay well through the enitre winter? If you have not yet gotten sick, head to your local Wal Mart and go lick some cart handles. I knew it was too good to be true that I would make it through the winter of my discontent without a sore throat or facial debacle. I wash my hands like a surgeon, yet without fail, can not escape the dreaded sinus infection that landed in my face last week. No training schedule ever makes allowances for illness.


Achilles, posing in the sunset. Sexy bike shot.

I started up a round of 6 month old anitbiotics from my last episode and then crossed my fingers, put on my pajamas and spent all extra hours I could get my hands on, lounging. In fact, I didn't run since last Sunday. I swam and I went on three bike rides, one of which was worth bragging about. It was almost 20 miles and I was able to average over 18 mph. I know, it's the new me, the one with Spiderman style hamstrings. I'm becoming a better version of my old self. I think.


Matt Lieto, the author and trainer of my world. I hope he doesn't screw me up. No pressure.

So, I thought since I was in the mood to show off my illness and bike ride, I thought I might as well brag about my new Half Iron training schedule. I've sorta tweaked it and written on it. I've made it my own. But, unlike marathon schedules that fit on one page....


Suck it Leo Tolstoy.

This one is a small book. It's like eight pages of sweat baking. I'm cooking a 70.3 cake and clinging desperately to the directions. I promised myself that I wouldn't look too far ahead, lest I fear that this thing will have me riding my bike to work into the next county and beyond... a plan my sinuses can't currently support.

12 comments:

  1. Suck it Leo Tolstoy! Now that's a classic line.

    Take care of yourself. I got into a cycle last fall where I seemed to go from one sinus infection to the next. It sucked. Nip it in the bud now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is a sexy bike shot and I agree /w misszippy hahahaha

    feel better xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughing. Out. Loud. Autocorrect rocks my world.

    70.3. Wow. Good luck, Coy! I can't imagine working through a training schedule that was a small book. I can barely handle a marathon! Maybe when my kids are a bit older and not quite so needy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should TOTALLY neti pot! (also, that's one of the best autocorrects i've ever seen).

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!! 70.3... Wooohooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. After a killer sinus infection, I am sold on the Neilmed sinus rinse.. if I even get an inkling of an infection... or just bored, blasting warm saline up one nostril to see it come out the other is the bomb.. ;-) http://www.amazon.com/NeilMeds-Sinus-Rinse-Regular-Bottle/dp/B000RJGB5C

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the analogy :)

    Sounds like you're taking good care of yourself so that it doesn't become something more serious. Sending lots of healing vibes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haaaaate sinus infections-I hope it clears up soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you feel better! Lol on the 1 page half ironman training schedule, and the reference to Tolstoy! Hopefully other people pick up on that too =)

    Your comments always crack me up, and the Fiesta Bowl comment does as well! Rusty Spur was a great time, though the average in there was like 45-50, lol good times drinking though! Surprisingly there are some Stanford fans who are crazier than I am, but there aren't that many out there! haha

    ReplyDelete
  10. bahaha. omg. can we please make it into a book. and decorate it. and make it pretty. and then sell it when you conquer 70.3!?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahaha...good times. Hope your feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Suck it, Leo Tolstoy! I am laughing out loud....I wish you lived closer, we'd have a blast together! Hope you are feeling better :)

    ReplyDelete